Monday, September 17, 2012

Moll Flanders - Daniel DeFoe



Rating: 3 stars

I struggle between not liking this book at all, and liking it a lot. There's much to say about DeFoe's structure, theme and characterization. And what it's lacking (any consequence whatsoever for Moll's many marriages, children and life of crime) helps to bring about DeFoe's main theme - the juxtaposition of Christian morality with ethics and the struggle to survive - which seems pretty heavy and scandalous for the time period.

I loved Robinson Crusoe and so had pretty high hopes for Moll Flanders. What Crusoe and Flanders have in common is their resourcefulness - their ability to make the best of the worst situations and come out not only alive, but better off than before. And even though Moll does this by manipulating many, many people and leaving scores of children behind - you can't help but pity her for the terrible situations that come of her many attempts of "meaning well," and kind of respect her for trying and succeeding in the end.

Purchase Now from Amazon

8/75

2 comments:

  1. Interesting... I'm curious, but I think I'll wait a bit before adding to my list. I still need to read Robinson Crusoe! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely liked Robinson Crusoe a whole lot better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...