Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Rating: 5 stars
Shelf: Reading Now

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society is the story of a literary society borne from the Occupation on the Channel Islands during World War II. It is told in a series of letters to a London writer, Juliet, who then travels to Guernsey to meet and write a story of all of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society's colorful characters.

It is both funny and extremely heartfelt - I laughed out loud as often as I had to wipe the tears from my eyes. It was so beautifully written and so alive. The characters and the authors and writings that gave them hope in the darkest days of the war - Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Anne Bronte.

I wish I could meet these fictious people of Guernsey and Juliet. I have fallen in love with this book.

Purchase Now from Amazon:  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

1 comment:

  1. This was a very enjoyable while informative book of a group of people on the island of Guersney during World War II. Certainly not your typical war story--but the characters come alive and their story of being invaded by the Germans is warm, wonderful, truly entertaining while tugging at your heartstrings. I laughed, I cried--it was so moving. The characters are very well developed and as they come to life as their stories unfold the reader is drawn more deeply into their drama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...