Wednesday, August 22, 2012

30-Day Book Challenge - Day 26

Day 26 - A Book That Changed Your Opinion About Something



I read this book directly after I watched Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. Though represented differently and with vastly different opinions on the matter - the discussion is exactly the same. What I found more shocking than Global Warming: Fact or Myth - was my ability to immediately buy in to whatever books or movies are selling. I took An Inconvenient Truth to heart as a complete truth and not at all political/celebrity propaganda. 

And let me just say before the hippies come and kill me in my sleep - State of Fear isn't about being anti-earth, anti-global warming. It's about how many non-facts there are floating around out there in order to instill a fear of global warming. 

There's a chart that Al Gore shows in his movie, of rising CO2 levels. It's completely staggering, when Al Gore references it, how quickly we're killing our planet. That same chart shows up in State of Fear, except this time, we're given the entirety of it. The one Gore shows in the movie is a small section of the chart - chosen because of how extreme it seems out of context. 

State of Fear didn't exactly change my mind about how I think we should treat our planet - as I don't think it was meant to. But it did change the way I think about everything. It's the primary reason I read more non-fiction now than I ever did before. I'm searching for the truth of all things - not just the things that Leonardo DiCaprio wants to talk about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...