Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud - Ben Sherwood

Rating: 3 stars
Shelf: Now Reading

So the last time I went against the masses and gave a semi-bad review to a book everyone else thought was so WONDERFUL, I was told by certain people that I obviously had "no emotions" and that they "felt sorry for me." I really hope that doesn't happen again, because it's sort of annoying to be berated for having a brain. This book wasn't all that great.

Sure, as you can tell by my rating, I "liked" it. It was entertaining and a quick, light read. But it was entirely too predictable. Nothing, not one thing, came as a nice surprise. Tess was an interesting and relatable character, but Charlie himself fell incredibly flat. The author begins his description of Charlie as if he's telling us a tall tale, so we are instantly distanced from the character. I was never able to regain the closeness I expect to feel to the characters in any decent novel.

And, why, WHY, did it have to end with Charlie telling Tess a neat little tale about their time together? WHY did it have to invoke THE NOTEBOOK? Why? "Well... it starts in Waterside Cemetery where a brave and beautiful sailmaker complained to the caretaker about a disturbance of the peace." Spare me? Seriously. Spare me.

Thank goodness the cover image was Zac Efron's face.

Purchase Now from Amazon:  Charlie St. Cloud: A Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...